The Envisat ASAR data were in AP mode and VV/VH polarization combinations, and the overpass time was approximately at 11:14 BJT. The quadrates were divided into 4×4 subsites, with each one spanning a 30×30 m2 plot. Observation items included:
(1) the quadrate investigation in No. 2 and 3 quadrates: GPS by GARMIN GPS 76, plant species by manual cognition, the plant number by manual work, the height by the measuring tape repeated 4-5 times, phenology by manual work, the coverage by manual work (compartmentalizing 0.5m×0.5m into 100 to see the percentage the stellera takes) and the chlorophyll content by SPAD 502.
(2) spectrum of stellera and pasture by ASD FieldSpec (350～2 500 nm), with 20% reference board. The preprocessed canopy spectrum was archived.
(3) BRDF by ASD FieldSpec (350～2 500 nm), with 20% reference board. The processed reflectance and transmittivity were archived as .txt files.
(4) photosynthesis of stellera and pasture by LI-6400. The data were archived in Excel format.
(5) soil moisture by WET soil moisture tachometer. Acquisition time, soil moisture (%vol), Ecp (ms/m), Tmp Eb and Ecb (ms/m) of 25 corner points were archived.
(6) the soil temperature by the handheld infrared thermometer. Acquisition time, the soil temperature measured three times and the land cover types were archived.
The data included the canopy reflectance on Jul. 5 and 6, photosynthesis on Jul. 5 and 6, BRDF on Jul. 5, photos on Jul. 5, the infrared land surface temperature and soil moisture by WET on Jul. 5, biomass on Jul. 5 and the surface temperature along No. 3 flight on Jul. 6.
Data Citation Ma Mingguo, Ding Songshuang, Ge Yingchun, Li Hongyi, Liu Sihan, Qian Jinbo, Wang Yang, Yu Yingjie. WATER: Dataset of ground truth measurement synchronizing with Envisat ASAR in the A'rou foci experimental area on Jul. 5 and Jul. 6, 2008. Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Science; Beijing Normal University; Institute of Remote Sensing Applications, Chinese Academy of Sciences. 2008. doi:10.3972/water973.0007.db
The dataset is generated from the "Watershed Airborne Telemetry Experimental Research (WATER) “, the user must have a clear statement in the article of the original data source and adopt the reference style providing by the metadata in the References section.