(1) soil moisture (0-5cm) measured once by the cutting ring method at the corner points of the 40 subplots of the west-east desert transit zone strip , once by the cutting ring method in the nine subplots of the north-south desert transit zone, nine times in the LY06 and LY07 strips quadrates,and once by the cutting ring and once by ML2X Soil Moisture Tachometer in the Wulidun farmland. The preprocessed soil volumetric moisture data were archived as Excel files.
(2) the surface radiative temperature measured by three handheld infrared thermometer (5# and 6# from Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, and one from Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources, which were all calibrated) in LY06 and LY07 strips (49 points and repeated three times), and Wulidun farmland quadrates (various points and repeated three times). Data were archived as Excel files.
(3) spectrum of maize, soil and soil with known moisture measured by ASD Spectroradiometer (350～2 500 nm) from BNU and the reference board (40% before Jun. 15 and 20% hereafter) in Wulidun farmland. Raw spectral data were binary files , which were recorded daily in detail, and pre-processed data on reflectance (by ViewSpecPro) were archived as Excel files.
(4) maize BRDF measured by ASD Spectroradiometer (350～2 500 nm) from BNU, the reference board (40% before Jun. 15 and 20% hereafter), two observation platforms of BNU make and one of Institute of Remote Sensing Applications make in Wulidun farmland. Raw spectral data were archived as binary files, which were recorded daily in detail, and pre-processed data on reflectance and transmittivity were archived as text files (.txt).
(5) LAI measured in the maize quadrate, poplar quadrate and desert scrub quadrate in Wulidun farmland, the desert transit zone strips and the poplar forest quadrate by the fisheye camera (CANON EOS40D with a lens of EF15/28), shooting straight downwards, with exceptions of higher plants, which were shot upwards. Data included original photos (.JPG) and those processed by can_eye5.0 (in excel).
(6) LAI of maize measured by LAI2000 in Linze station quadrates and Wulidun farmland quadrates. Data educed from LAI2000 periodically were archived as text files (.txt) and marked with one ID. Raw data (table of word and txt) and processed data (Excel) were included. Besides, observation time, the observation method and the repetition were all archived.
(7) LAI measured by the ruler and the set square in B2 and B3 of Linze station quadrates. Data were archived as Excel files.
See the metadata record “WATER: Dataset of setting of the sampling plots and stripes in the Linze station foci experimental area” for more information of the quadrate locations.
Data Citation Song Yi, Yu Yingjie, Li Shihua, Ding Songshuang, Jiang Hao, Liu Jun, Wang Yang, Zhu Shijie. WATER: Dataset of ground truth measurement synchronizing with the airborne WiDAS mission and Envisat ASAR in the Linze station foci experimental area on Jul. 11, 2008. Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Beijing Normal University; Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences; University of Electronic Science and Technology of China. 2008. doi:10.3972/water973.0108.db
The dataset is generated from the "Watershed Airborne Telemetry Experimental Research (WATER) “, the user must have a clear statement in the article of the original data source and adopt the reference style providing by the metadata in the References section.